Week 5 Reflection and Inquiry Update

I really enjoyed this week’s class which was lead by a guest host Trevor MacKenzie. Because my free inquiry project for EDCI 336 is based on his book Inquiry Mindset, it was really cool to be able to meet him “in person”. He began the class by introducing the four types of inquiry; structured, controlled, guided, and free. He then shared with us an image of a swimming pool that depicts the structure of these various types of inquiry. As I have already learned about the types of inquiry through reading Trevor’s book, I understood its relations to the gradual release of responsibility. Basically, as you move into the deeper end of the pool, responsibility releases from the teacher.

Photo by Trevor MacKenzie on @trev_mackenzie

Since Inquiry Mindset is more focused on elementary ages, it was interesting to hear Trevor hone in on the high school side of inquiry. He provided us with examples of provocations and how he uses them in his English 12 class. I was really grateful that he gave an example of a provocation because I had a hard time grasping the idea while reading the book. From what I now understand, a provocation is any image, gif, or video that provokes thought about a topic to deepen understanding of a topic through exploratory talk.

I am really passionate about inquiry education and am so excited to bring it with me through my teacher education journey. I think it connects with me on a personal level because if I were brought up in an inquiry-based school, I believe I would have enjoyed my school years much more.